Orihuela Costa (+34) 645 652 688
Local Tariff (From UK) 02037347116

Want us to call you?

We call you!, Give us your tel. number.


February 2015

Foro seguro de hogar: robo en el exterior de la vivienda

Sophie E.

Hello there, I have a Villa with a home insurance contracted and the other day when I was walking down the street somebody on a motorbike pulled my bag, shook me and took it, and in the bag I had a wallet with money, a nintendo, the keys of the house etc.

The Insurance Co. tells me that I have no coverage but I do not know if it’s true.

Thank You.

Moderator, Sergio Sanguino

Dear Sophie,

It depends on the policy that you have contracted. The first thing to bear in mind is that we are talking about a robbery outside of the home.

In Home Insurance policies´ cover exists a guarantee for such cases, usually called `robbery outside´, `theft outside of the home” or similar.

In many companies it is an optional guarantee, i.e. You contract this apart from the basic guarantees, so the first thing to consider is whether this guarantee has been contracted from you or not.

In most cases the guarantee of robbery outside of the home only covers theft by force or intimidation to the insured, i.e. what is commonly called robbery, having no cover neither petty theft (someone introduces the hand into your bag and takes your wallet) where there is no violence, nor burglary in things (bag snatcher) where there is no violence or intimidation against people.

However you should check your policy carefully, as more and more Companies include robbery outside of the home, misappropriation and theft with force things, but the maximum compensation to be paid are usually small amounts.

In any case you should make a report at the closest `Guardia Civil´ to proceed with the claim.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards.

Foro seguro de hogar: regla de equidad

Thomas H.

Hi, I live in a Residential Villa and a few days ago unknown persons broke into my house after breaking the window of a room, and stole several objects.

The insurance company offered me a lower valuation of the stolen items for the rule of equity and they state that it is because the policy I contracted indicates that the house has bars on all the windows, and there are only in some of them.

Do they have the right not to compensate me for the full amount of the value?

Thank You

Moderator, Sergio Sanguino

Dear Thomas,

Indeed the Company may compensate you with a lower amount of the damages produced in relation to the valuation done by the assessor.

In your Insurance policy you reflected the House was protected with bars on the windows and the truth is that it was not at that moment, since there are windows without such bars.

what is called rule of equity, since the premium you pay for insurance is consistent with the security measures declared, and when the disaster occurs there were no such measures.

The Insurance Co. must apply what is called rule of equity, since the premium you pay for insurance is consistent with the security measures declared, and when the disaster occurs there were no such measures. They must tell you the correct premium you should pay and in the same proportion as this premium increases the compensation to be received will be reduced.

So you should ask them which calculation is used to find out if you are properly compensated for the stolen objects.

Kind regards.

Foro seguro de hogar: rotura tuberías que forman la red horizontal de la vivienda

Víctor M.

I have a ground floor house insured with the company Mapfre, and for some time we observed that moisture in the walls of the room and the whole house smelled musty.

Taking advantage of a technician´s visit from the Water´s Supplier of the Town, we told him what happened, and he confirmed that the state of the public manhole which is about two feet from my entrance (on the sidewalk) was in good condition, so the problem was not from the Town hall.

We got a particular plumber who introduced a video camera from the public manhole until the drainpipe of my house, ranging from the yard to the street and passing under my living room. He found that the pipe was broken in several places, so all the water drains from my house do not reach the sewer getting lost beneath the floor of my house.

We raise the living room floor and replace the drain pipe from the yard to the street and as there were no tiles like the ones we had, we changed the entire living room floor. We have also painted the walls that were damp.

Once the work was done, we were in contact with the Insurance Co. to claim and they told us that they cannot cover the incident, since Location and reparation of pipes belonging to the Horizontal drainage network of the property are excluded.

We are not happy, as we are claiming for the costs of locating the fault, reparation, replacement of the entire floor and painting the walls, what can we do?

Thank you.

Moderator, Sergio Sanguino

Dear Víctor,

The first thing you should do is to contact the Insurance Co. and ask them to send an assessor to your home, since they cannot exclude a claim by a simple telephone call, because for your comments there are several aspects to determine the claim:

Indeed, location and reparation of pipes belonging to the Horizontal drainage network of the property are excluded i.e. sewage pipes or drains that are below the floor to sewers or manholes. That excludes works for searching and location of the fault (video camera, to raise the floor of the room) and self-repair of the damage (replacement of damaged pipe section)

Having such faults not covered you cannot claim for aesthetic damage incurred by raising the floor as it is an added coverage accompanying the main one, i.e. It is not applied if the loss is not covered.

It is a different issue the water damage caused, as you indicate there is moisture in the walls of your home. These damages are covered and compensable, as well as if you had to paint more walls for aesthetic damage