Orihuela Costa (+34) 645 652 688
Local Tariff (From UK) 02037347116

Want us to call you?

We call you!, Give us your tel. number.


Ask us

Professional Advice

Foro Seguro de Hogar: Patio inundado

Christine F.

Good evening,

I am very worried as on September 29th it rained so much (83 liters per m2) that water entered through the two windows of the rooms inside of my apartment coming from the courtyard…… the parquet was brand new and now it is all bulged and 5 doors have been affected by humidity.

Since that day me and my partner are fighting against our Home Insurance to cover us.

First of all we contacted La Caixa where we have our home insurance (Seguraixa), and they told us that as water came from the courtyard we should claim on the Community´s insurance. Then the assessor from community came and said that it is “consorciable” so the Assesor from the Consortium came and it seemed that all was well (invoices, we signed mutual agreement) and when the assessor provided the file to the Consortium they said it was not “consorciable”. We returned to the Community´s Insurance and they refused it as well as it is something we have to claim against our private insurance.

At the moment, the assessor from La Caixa came and we are waiting for a response, but we are all nerves, as they have always said no, and we have nowhere to go.

Looking at the policy and the conditions, they should have to cover it and we are even asking for aesthetic damage for the other doors not affected.

We are also afraid because people say that La Caixa is not paying anything currently… but if you have flood insurance cover and it covers 100% they should not deny.

What do you think? Do you think we are covered? Do we have to be concerned?

Thank you very much and best regards.

Moderator, Sergio Sanguino

We would need to know the exact place from where the water comes from and according to your message we have two choices:

1st Water falls into the inner courtyard, and the sump does not cope with swallowing all the water so it increases the level until it reaches the height of the windows, entering through the joints into the House. The Courtyard cover would be the responsibility of the Community of Owners’ insurance.

2nd If Water filters through the frames of the windows due to the big amount of water fell for the big rain; your Home Insurance should cover it. Should you have contracted aesthetic damage cover, your Insurance should also attend those damages up to the limit established within your policy.

As you mentioned, the insurance Assessor has already been to your home, so now you should waiting for final report. If this is negative for your interest, you must request that the denial of the claim is MOTIVATED, which means that they should explain the reason why the claim is not covered. Otherwise, it will generate helplessness. And once that is done, it is recommended that you contract an Assessor on your behalf so you can check different opinions. At this step, you must inform the Insurance Company in writing the services contracted with your personal Assessor, stating the name of the Assessor, the date of claim and your details indicating that you are referring to what it is expressed in art. 38 of the Insurance Contract Act .

What seems clear is that as water came from an inner Courtyard the Spanish Consortium will not take care, as it is one of the exclusions reflected within their general term.

Kind regards.

Deja un comentario

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *