Orihuela Costa (+34) 645 652 688
Local Tariff (From UK) 02037347116

Want us to call you?

We call you!, Give us your tel. number.


Ask us

Professional Advice

Foro seguro de comunidades: robo con daños

Louise K.

Hi, I live in an apartment (building) and I have a private home insurance. The other day, I had a break in and they damaged the front door of my apartment and stole various objects.

I contacted my insurance and they told me that I will be compensated for the stolen items, but they will only pay half of the door because the other half should be paid from the Community. They have their own insurance, but I do not know if this is correct or what I have to do.

Thanks for your help.

Moderator, Sergio Sanguino

Dear Louise,

In fact, this is what we call Concurrent Insurance. That is, two or more policies covering the same exposure, such as the front door of your apartment, which is part of your private Home, but also a shared part of the Community.

Therefore, the insurance provider is right by saying that the home must also be compensated from its community insurance, but not 50%, but the corresponding percentage that should negotiate the assessors of both companies.

In a practical sense, you have to claim on the Insurance of your Community so they can send you an assessor and to provide him with the name and telephone number of the assessor who carried out your Home Insurance claim. Then they can get to an agreement on how they will pay the replacement of the door. It is a generalized rule that the Insurance Company which has to pay the higher compensation will pay everything to the client and then reclaim its part to the other Company. So you will only receive one payment from one Company. If not, each Company will have to compensate you separately.

Kind regards.

Foro seguro de hogar: Rotura de toldo por el fuerte viento

Ben A.

Hello, with the strong wind of these days I have broken awning in my property which is a Villa in the Countryside. Although the Awning was almost new (one year old) the Insurance Company told me that the speed of the wind at the nearest area of the risk did not exceed the limits set up in the policy. Other neighbors had been covered and there are plenty of damages throughout the area. Are they right not attending claim?

Thank you.

Moderator, Sergio Sanguino

Dear Ben,

For the Insurance Company to cover trough a claim of wind the limits of speed of wind must exceed the limits set up within the policy. Even when the wind was above of that limits the claim could be rejected if the awning was already in a very bad state, but according to your comments this is not the case.

The problem is that the closest wind speed meter to your location did not register a higher speed than that established in the policy. Home insurance policies indicate that the speed of the wind must be accredited by the certification of such gauges or any other evidence.

That is, in your case, as the meter was not in the same place and the awning was almost new and installed correctly, you should ask the Insurance Company to send you an assessor to your home, so he can determine which awnings were in good condition. If they are broken is because of the wind, and if so, It is because you have exceeded the limits, even if they are not able to measure it, because a wind speed meter several kilometers away from your home is unreliable, since there are wind gusts, eddies, different wind speed depending on the altitude of the risk etc… Besides, if they check damages to other boundary risks there is no doubt that there has been a wind of such magnitude that it caused damage to the insured property.


Foro seguro de hogar: ¿Que son los daños estéticos?

Michelle K.

What is aesthetic damage?


Moderator, Sergio Sanguino

Aesthetic damage is a kind of indirect damage. For example, if as a result of a fault in the Pipe of the Community of Owners you get a damp spot on one of the four walls of your living room. That wall with the damp spot is a direct damage. But if only my damaged wall is painted I will be suffering serious aesthetic damage as you can clearly see the difference between the painted wall and the rest. The other three walls are indirect or aesthetic damage to be claimed. Another example is when the tiles have been broken or damaged to locate a broken pipe and they are not on the market. To replace with brand new tiles the broken ones is a direct damage cover. To replace the whole set to leave it similar would be to cover the indirect or aesthetic damage.