- Jan 26, 2021
If you are concerned about your energy consumption at home and want to save surprises on your bill every month, we give you 7 tips to save energy with easy solutions available to everyone.
1. Adjust the electrical power to the needs of your home.
You must bear in mind that a large part of what you pay on your electricity bill is the contracted power. To know what is the power that you need, we recommend you to read the instructions of the electrical appliances so you can estimate the cost of their operation. Thus, you will be able to know what is the real power that you need.
2. Choose electricity rates with hourly discrimination.
How are the rates with hourly discrimination? Two periods of consumption are established, each one with its price:
- Peak hours: from 12:00 noon to 22:00 at night in winter and from 13:00 in the afternoon to 23:00 at night in summer.
- The off-peak hours: would be the rest of the hours. It is in these off-peak hours when you can save approximately 47% compared to the base rate.
3. Check the electrical installation.
When was the last time you checked your electrical installation? Keeping your home electrical system in good condition, such as switches, sockets or connections, can help you to save a significant percentage on your bill. It is advisable to do a review at least every 10 years, if your home is brand new, and every 5 years if your home is more than 25 years old since it was built.
4. Use LED bulbs.
Around 25% of the light that is consumed in homes is usually in lighting, therefore, we recommend using LED bulbs, both for their duration and for their performance, so that your electricity consumption is more efficient.
5. Monitor the silent consumption of electrical appliances.
Did you know that turning off stand-by appliances in your home can help you save up to 10% on your bill? It is important to turn off everything that is on stand-by such as televisions, computers, music equipment … etc.
6. Choose and use appliances wisely.
If you want to save on your bill, consuming around 55% less energy, invest in efficient appliances with the A +, A ++ or A +++ energy label. Even if its price seems higher, in the long run, you will win.
In addition, if you use the programs with lower temperatures you can also reduce the cost of your bill, for example:
- The washing machine: selecting the programs with between 40ºC and 60ºC suppose a saving of 40% in light.
- The Dishwasher: the Eco programs work at around 50ºC.
- The refrigerator: control the area where it is installed and keep it away from heat sources. Thus, regulate its temperature between 3º and 7º and make sure that the back is ventilated and free of dust.
7. Control the temperature when using air conditioning and heating.
Last but not the least, it is to properly regulate the temperature of our home when we use the air conditioning or heating. Keep in mind that for every degree above 20º, the heating consumes between 5% and 7% more energy. In the case of air conditioning, each degree below 25º implies approximately 8% more energy.
As you have already seen, with these small gestures we can save on our electricity bill considerably. From Mileniun Levante we offer you a free electricity consumption study of your home to achieve efficiency and savings on your next bill. Would you like to talk?